Finding comfort somewhere in our hectic and fast-paced lives is very important on this journey we call life. Whether it be at home or at work, it is what keeps us sane and keeps us going. A dear friend of mine once told me, “things either have to be good at home or at work for things to be okay in one’s life. Things get really hard when both are not good”. She is completely right. We spend a majority of our lives at work and at home. Things are not always going to be great with both situations. But if we can keep at least one portion of our life good, then things and situations will be easier to cope with. But when they both fall apart, then we start to fall apart too. Having a stressful day at work and to come home to chaos and stress can drive anyone into the crazy house. Or on the flipside, going from chaos and stress at home to a stressful work environment, can throw a wrench into anyone’s well being.
Here are a few ideas that can keep both parts of our lives running like a well-oiled machine.
For at work….
- Have a wingman at work. Someone you can talk to and has your back. Having a listening ear is so good for our soul because sometimes we just need someone to listen to make things better.
- Find positive things about your job. For me, I like that where I work is so walkable. I like to take walks during my lunch break. It is so peaceful and gives me time to just think about the week and be by myself with my thoughts.
- Get involved in planning/attending social events at work. This allows you to know you coworkers a little better while doing something fun.
- Learn to take breaks. Take the time to get up and walk away from the computer.
For at home….
- Take the time to do something fun with your kids or your spouse. Especially at home, we get so wrapped in routines and obligations that we forget to just have fun with our family. Plan to do something that is just plain fun. This will help with your relationship with your family as well.
- Divide up the chores. We as women/moms like to take care of all the house work sometimes….I mean no one can do it like we can, right? Well things don’t have to be perfect all the time. Identifying what things don’t mean that much to you, can help out a lot. Like for me, cleaning the kitchen is important to me, so I WILL handle that. No one does it better than me. But folding towels is not that big of deal, so hubby can handle it.
- Setup a routine so there is less chaos. My kids and spouse know the routine so it makes for less confusion, period.
- Set aside time for yourself. Even if it is to be alone with your thoughts. This is important. YOU are just as important as everyone in your family. Our well being helps us to be a better parent and spouse
Keeping our environment free of negativity is important to stay well. Our mental well being as so much to do with our health. When you feel great you have more of a drive to exercise and stay fit. Stress can have such a negative effect on us physically.
Till Next Time…..which one is it for you?